Thursday, March 23, 2006

Dogma? What Dogma?

The bishop of the Catholic diocese of Arlington, Virginia has now decided to allow altar girls to serve during masses. This move leaves the diocese of Nebraska as the only one that restricts the job to boys. That's because the Vatican decided 12 years ago to leave the decision up to individual bishops.

Personally I applaud the move by the Arlington diocese. But as with the St. Patrick's Day relaxation of the rules of Lent (see March 17 post), I am once again puzzled by how this works. Don't the Catholics of Nebraska worship the same god as Catholics elsewhere in the country? And if so, why are their rules different from everyone else's? It seems only logical that either something is a sin in the eyes of God, or it's not. Your geographic location should have nothing to do with it.

This has inspired me to start my own religion: The Church of Lugosi. The entire belief structure of my church will be based on NOT having any set belief structure. Everyone will simply be able to make up their only rules in the Church of Lugosi, regardless of where they live. You want communion? Go for it. Want mass said in Klingon? Knock yourself out. Only want to follow seven commandments? Fine by me.

The only requirement is that you tithe 10% percent of your earnings to me, Pope Lugosi I.

0 thoughtful ramblings: