Thursday, October 30, 2008

Most of Warrenton is either still in flames or reduced to rubble. The machine that did this appears to be gone, and a few survivors are roaming the streets. Most appear to be in shock, incapable of taking in the devastation around them. A few others are just sitting in the wreckage of their lives, weeping uncontrollably. I passed by one guy who was talking to a small pile of ash that I'm guessing used to be his wife.

That police road block? The squad cars were just piles of wreckage. No sign of my friend the cop.

I finally made it to my apartment building, or at least what was left of it. My half of the structure was gone. I spotted one of my cats off in some bushes. When I called to him, he just took off running.

The lower two floors of the other half of the building were mostly intact. I forced my way into one unit and found that the electricity, though flickering, was still on. I turned on the TV but the cable was out. That's no surprise; Comcast goes out if you as much as sneeze.

Found another apartment on the second floor that had a small satellite dish mounted on the balcony railing. Everything seemed to still be hooked up, but all the channels came up either blank or with test patterns.

0 thoughtful ramblings: