Thursday, August 07, 2008

Dark Knight Express

The Dark Knight was number one for the third weekend in a row, narrowly beating out The Mummy XXIV: Yet Another Excuse to Show Off Hollywood's Fancy Special Effects Industry. It has now become the fastest movie to reach the $400 million domestic box office mark, and is expected to soon surpass Star Wars as the second biggest movie of all time.

In case that's not impressive enough, some analysts are now even beginning to talk about something that had been considered unthinkable when The Dark Knight first opened: It may even end up passing the all-time $601 million mark set by Titanic in 1997.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I need to see the movie again. While I did see it opening day and enjoyed it, I wasn't exactly blown away by it (my review).

I did go see Pineapple Express yesterday, and I predict that it is the movie that will finally knock Batman from his perch high atop Gotham City. The movie is funny as hell, and I found myself laughing so hard I peed my pants several times. In fact, when the movie ended, I immediately went to to the men's room and aimed the hand drier at the front of my trousers.

Seth Rogen more or less plays the same character he's played in all his other films: A slacker goofball who's more or less trying to do the right thing. But it's James Franco who really makes the movie. You may remember from the Spiderman movies as Peter Parkers' rich, somewhat straight-laced friend (well, except when he eventually turns into a villain hellbent on revenge).

In Pineapple Express, he plays Rogen's drug dealer buddy who's pretty much stoned through the entire movie.

Word of warning: While the movie is funny as hell, it's not one for the kids or your 75 year old parents. The humor is pretty raunchy, and at times there are moments of rather graphic violence.

But back to The Dark Knight. Here's a "lost scene" that never made into the final cut:

0 thoughtful ramblings: