Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Primary Hopes
I had hoped to vote for Carole Mosely-Braun in yesterday's Virginia primary, but her name was already off the ballot. So then I was tempted to go with Dennis Kucinich because I feel sorry for him. I mean, it must be downright embarrassing to end up with fewer votes than Al Sharpton (Virginia totals). And in Tennessee, the little guy not only got beat by Sharpton, but he actually ended up losing to Moseley-Braun as well!!

And Clark is the one dropping out of the race today!?!?!

Anyway, I finally ended up voting for John "the Comeback Kid" Kerry. In the final analysis, he seems to have the best chance of defeating George "Oops, I Thought There Were WMD's Over There" Bush.

What most annoys me about the coverage of yesterday's primary is the description of Virginia as a "southern state." Now THAT's embarrassing! (Maybe not as much as losing to someone who dropped out of the race a month ago, but still....!

Over 30% of the Old Dominion's population lives in northern Virginia, immediately outside of DC. Fairfax County alone has just over a million residents within its borders, and is consistently ranked as one the country's richest and most educated counties. And in terms of its ethnic makeup, Northern Virginia is as diverse as any big city in the US. So I'm not entirely sure what the media means when it refers to "southern states," but it sounds vaguely insulting and certainly not applicable to a substantial number of people in the state.

Hell, I even have most of my teeth.