Monday, February 09, 2004

A Brief History Lesson
Today marks the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' first appearance (in 1964, in case you're math-impaired) on the Ed Sullivan Show, an event largely credited with launching the British Invasion. Things quickly went downhill for American music after that, and by the beginning of summer the English were laying siege to Fort McHenry outside Baltimore Harbor. In fact, it was Francis Scott Keyes capture by the Rolling Stones that inspired him to write "The Star Spangled Banner."

By the summer of 1965, the tide of battle had changed and American forces under the command of Elvis Presley began reclaiming the Top 40 charts.
________________________________________________

Funny Candidate
John Edwards was on David Letterman last Thursday to deliver the top 10 "Things Never Said by a Presidential Candidate:"

10. "Vote for me or I'll slash your tires."
9. "Forget universal health care -- I'm buying every American an Xbox."
8. "In a crisis, I ask myself, 'What would Tony Danza do?' "
7. "I'd give you my plan for economic recovery if I wasn't rip-stinkin' drunk."
6. "If your last name begins with M through Z, your taxes are doubling."
5. "We're gonna cut the deficit by selling North Dakota to Canada."
4. "I have tons of experience from being president of the Burt Reynolds Fan Club."
3. "Lady, that is one ugly baby."
2. "When I'm president, I'm putting Regis [ Philbin] on Mount Rushmore."
1. "Read my lips: No new wardrobe malfunctions."
________________________________________________

Where Will You Be When Your diarrhea Hits?
The Boeing 747 made its first flight on this day in 1969. Equipped with 12 bathrooms for as many as 400 passengers, the plane gave new meaning to the term "holding pattern."


0 thoughtful ramblings: