Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Firefox 3.0 Lays an Egg

Well, today is the big day for downloading the much ballyhooed Firefox 3.0, which is supposed to be the computer equivalent of the second coming of Christ.... Or at least several simultaneous orgasms.

So are they going to succeed in setting the new record, whatever it may be? Probably, since apparently there wasn't an old record to break. Even so, Firefox was apparently unprepared for the crush.

The new version became available for downloading at 1 PM (eastern) but a lot of users are having problems accessing the site. It took me maybe a dozen tries, but I finally downloaded it onto my laptop about an hour ago.

If you have some add-ons you can't live without, you may want to hold off on Firefox 3.0. My Session Saver survived the switch, but my Walnut for Firefox theme did not. So now I'm left with a generic light blue theme. I'm really NOT HAPPY about this turn of events, either. I've used the Walnut theme for years now, and I have absolutely no desire to go hunting for a new one. I'm like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man: I can't handle change, and when confronted by unfamiliar surroundings I become disoriented, begin walking in circles, and mumbling incoherently to myself.

I did try going to the add-ons page, but that's also inaccessible at the moment.

My desktop has even more add-ons that I'm not willing to risk. Think I'll keep good ol' Firefox 2.0 on it.

0 thoughtful ramblings: