Thursday, February 23, 2006

The REAL Greatest Generation

We've been hearing a lot the last few years about the so-called "Greatest Generation." Yeah, yeah, I know. They stormed the beaches at Normandy and saved the world from the Nazis. That's all very impressive, and I certainly don't mean to demean the old farts in any way.

However, Leonard Steinhorn has made a rather convincing case that it's actually we baby boomers who are, in fact, the greatest generation. He bases his arguments on the massive changes in society that took place as the boomers reached adulthood. Some examples:
* In the 1950's professional basketball limited the number of black players that could be on the court at any given time.
* A 1957 university study found that 80% of adults thought that a woman must be sick, neurotic, or immoral to be unmarried.
* In 1958 94% of whites disapproved of interracial marriage.

He goes on to point out changes in workplace rules, religious tolerance, and our attitudes towards the environment. And quite frankly, I feel pretty damn good about myself and my fellow boomers.

Just don't ask me to storm any machine gun emplacements.

0 thoughtful ramblings: