Monday, February 27, 2006

Dropping Like Flies

I have to stop logging on to my computer. Every time I do, I find out someone else has died. The latest is Dennis Weaver, who played Chester on "Gunsmoke." A few years later he went on to star in "McCloud," which is the role I best remember him for. "McLoud" was in a rotation with "Columbo" and "McMillan and Wife," taking turns as the NBC Mystery Movie of the Week.

For those of you too young to remember (Probably anyone younger than 40), McCloud was a modern day lawman from New Mexico who was sent to New York city as part of some sort of law enforcement exchange program. While in the Big Apple, he of course continued to wear his cowboy hat and boots. McCloud's police captain was always getting exasperated with him and threatening to send him back home. But then in the end, McCloud would always redeem himself by rounding up the bad guys in some sort of unorthodox chase sequence.

And let's not forget the TV movie that gave Steven Spielberg his start: "Duel." Weaver was a motorist who ends up being stalked by a mysterious truck.

Jeez.... Maybe I should start taking bets on who's going to croak next.

0 thoughtful ramblings: