Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Shake, Rattle & Roll
Virginia had a small earthquake earlier today, measuring about 4.5 on the ol' Richter Scale. Many people felt it, while many others didn't. I was among those who missed it. There was some minor damage in Nelson County west of Richmond where the quake was centered, but that's it.

I hate to say this, but I'm rather disappointed. It seems like we get a small trembler in this area every couple of years, but nothing serious ever results. No collapsed buildings, flaming gas mains, or ruptured fire hydrants spewing water 30 feet into the air.

What a horrible waste of seismic activity....

One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

----------Gary Varvel, Indianapolis Star


This morning I found myself in a notoriously bad part of town, but I was there on a mission. So I sought out the seediest, nastiest looking dealer of illicit pharmaceuticals I could find and approached him with a wad of twenties.

"Yo, bro," I said, trying to sound like I was happenin' with the street lingo.

"Yo," he said. He eyed me suspiciously, trying to figure out if I was a narc.

So I flashed my stash. "I'm looking for the good stuff. You got it, my man?"

"Maybe." He said.

I slipped him $300 and, after nervously looking up & down the street, he discreetly gave me "the product."

And so that's how I came to find myself in a boarded up crackhouse, with heroin addicts passed out on the floor in puddles of their own bodily fluids, shooting myself up with flu vaccine.


----------Dana Summers, Orlando Sentinel



0 thoughtful ramblings: