Thursday, December 04, 2003

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow....
Saw my first snowflake of the season, and the forecast is for up to 3" of the stuff overnight. So naturally I joined my fellow lemmings in a state of panic and immediately rushed down to the grocery store. And like everyone else, I stocked up on bread, milk, and toilet paper.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what good all this stuff will do me. I have nothing to put on the bread, I'm lactose intolerant, and I'm constipated.

Forget the WMD's, Go After the Spammers
On Dec 2 I wrote about Charles Booker's case of spam rage. In the comments, reader Danne says that Sweden is currently working on legislation to outlaw spam.

That's may sound fine & dandy on the surface, but what exactly will it accomplish? Probably not much. The U.S. congress has been debating such laws for a while now, and several individual states have instituted them individually. But the problem is that many spammers originate their mailings from overseas, or else go to extraordinary length to disguise their points of origin. For them, evading laws and spam filters is like some sort of game, with you and I as the pawns. So how does country A go about stopping a spammer traced to country B? In many cases, law enforcement agencies are unwilling or unable to stop them.

The only answer is military intervention.

Forget Iraq, and to hell with the War on Terror. If we are going to get serious about stopping spam, it's time to start kicking some ass. No matter how much these people may try to disguise their IP addresses, the United States intelligence community has the resources to crack their codes. Then we tell the nations harboring spammers to give them up, or else the JDAM's start falling.

This is one military campaign that the world is certain to support.

Yes, even the French.


0 thoughtful ramblings: