Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Rats Leaving A Sinking Ship?

Blogspot has long had a reputation of being unreliable and riddled with frequent software problems. Unfortunately, its recent purchase by Google has not served to clear up the problems.

There had been a longstanding problem with the archiving of material that was finally cleared up this past summer. However, other issues remain, and new ones crop up. Most recently, a number of sites have been hit with disappearing templates. In addition to rendering one's site unavailable to readers, it costs a lot of time and effort to rebuild. And certain information, such as links, are lost for good. Then there's the pesky problem of posts that disappear when you publish them. I have learned to save material to my clipboard until I'm certain it has actually shown up on the site.

Several former blogspot people have since switched. Norman Geras recently moved to typepad, and today I get word that Aaron the Liberal Slayer has also fled the scene of the blogspot wreck.

As for me, well, Michael Jackson and are I staying on board the Titanic with the women and children. And just to set the record straight: I'll be keeping myself preoccupied with the women, while Jacko tends to the kids.

0 thoughtful ramblings: