Thursday, April 16, 2009

More Pirates After Your Money

One of the most annoying pop-up ads out there is the one one for Classmates.com. Those damn things even manage to plague my Firefox browser (along with Netflix). Well, a couple of weeks ago I finally caved in and signed up for the basic service.

Then I discovered "The Catch."

Since I joined I have gotten two emails saying that people have left messages. And who might these people be? Well, I have no idea. The only way you can check to see who has been trying to contact you is to sign up for the so-called "Gold Membership" which--surprise, surprise--costs money!

I'm not falling for it. I once made the mistake of joining Facebook (or maybe it was Myspace--I can never tell them apart) and within 30 seconds I had a brand new friend!! I was all excited until I discovered that "new friend" was actually the CEO and founder of the website, and he automatically becomes EVERYONE'S friend when you join. Kinda creepy, if you ask me. I'm thinking of taking out a restraining order against him.

I was crushed to discover that I wasn't so special after all, and the entire experience left me broken and cynical. So I'll be damned if I going to cough up $59 for two years only to discover that my messages are actually from someone at classmates.com welcoming me to the site.

On the other hand, what if it's the cheerleading squad finally offering to let me play with their pom-poms?

Such a dilemma....

0 thoughtful ramblings: