Friday, May 07, 2004

Bugger Off
Though I haven't seen or heard any myself yet, a few cicadas have emerged to wreak terror upon an unsuspecting public. Well, okay, maybe not ENTIRELY unsuspecting, since the advance press coverage of this has become every bit as incessant as the mating cry of the little buggers soon will be. Still, it's a safe bit that when they do come out in force, there will still be people out there wondering what's going on. Must be nice to stagger through life perpetually oblivious to the world around you.

With the temperatures expected to be well into the 80's for the next several days, bugologists (people who study bugs, you ninny) are saying the cicadas will be come out in full force some time this weekend.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the impending invasion. I'll be able to save big bucks on my food bills for the next month or so. My only concern how cicadas fit into the Atkins Diet. I certainly wouldn't want to throw my carb intake out of whack!

Though I don't consider myself a tree hugger, I am intrigued by these little guys. How do they know when their 17 years is up? Do they keep little calendars in their underground burrows? And if so, how do they read them? With little teeny tiny flashlights? And what did they do before Thomas Edison invented the light bulb? Or Fred Eveready developed the flashlight?

As with women in general, I've given up trying to understand Mother Nature.

______________________________________________________





0 thoughtful ramblings: