Sunday, May 18, 2008

Is Google Losing Its Mind?

One of the fun things about Google is that they change logo for certain holidays. On Christmas day they give it a "Christmasy" look, on Halloween they add pumpkins to their logo, etc. I don't mind that sort of thing.... Within reason. And if you move your cursor over the logo, you get a brief a message explanation of what's going on.

Well, earlier this week I went to Google, and the logo was all weirded out again. Turns out it was the 60th anniversary of the invention of the laser. I thought about it, then decided it was okay to observe that. After all, Google is a technology company, we're obviously using computers, so fine, there's an obscure connection of sorts there.

But then today I went to do a search and this is what I found:


Thoroughly mystified, I moved my cursor over the image and came up with the name "Walter Gropius." Now if you're anything like me, your first thought was "Who the f*ck" was Walter and why is he deserving of his own special Google logo?"

I clicked on the link, and it turns out that he was an architect. He designed some reasonably well known buildings, but nothing particularly spectacular. It's not like he built the freakin' Sistine Chapel. And as far as I can tell, he didn't design Google's headquarters building either. But yet he gets his very own Google logo? WTF?

Like I said, I don't mind an occasional exhibition of frivolity by Google, but this is getting ridiculous.

And yes, I'm just a little bitter I don't get a special logo on my birthday.

0 thoughtful ramblings: