Monday, November 21, 2005

A New Level Of Idiocy

Every now and then some politician will say something so incredibly stupid that it absolutely defies the imagination. The following statement (See last paragraph of link) by Louie Gohmert, a Republican congressman from Texas, certainly fits the bill:

"You'll have a parent or two here, as you know, whose tragic grief from the tragic loss of a loved one, of a child, causes their mental thinking to be a little destabilized. That's understandable."

I don't consider myself an overly religious person. But I have to admit that lately I have been undergoing a spiritual awakening as I increasingly turn to prayer. Indeed, when I heard about the above quote, I immediately fell to my knees and prayed. I prayed that next year the American people will finally come to their senses and vote the morons currently in Congress out of power.

Yes, our military is an all-volunteer force, and yes, when soldiers enlist they should be prepared to die for their country. But our leaders also have a grave responsibility not to send these men and women into harm's way unless absolutely necessary. For a congressman to make such a callous and cavalier remark demonstrates that he is not worthy of that responsibility.

Let's hope Louie Gohmert can eventually wash the blood off his hands.


0 thoughtful ramblings: