Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Rescue Me From The Hiltons

The country may going to hell in a handbasket, but I don't care. One of my favorite shows--Rescue Me--returns tonight (with repeats throughout the week) for its second season, and I'm happier than a pig in poop.... Which is something I've always to experience myself but haven't gotten around to.

The show (on FX) stars comedian Denis Leary as a post-9/11 firefighter in New York who has some serious issues. He's an alcoholic, talks to dead people, and has gotten his deceased cousin's wife pregnant. In the process of accomplishing all this, he has alienated pretty much all his friends and coworkers. Yet despite all that, Rescue Me also succeeds in getting you to laugh.

Yes, the language is raw. But it's also the type of well-written, thought-provoking program you will never find on any of the broadcast networks.

But if you're not into quality TV and prefer mind numbing stupidity, there's always I Want to Be a Hilton. Haven't seen it yet, but the advance word on it seems to indicate this show will epitomize everything that's wrong with so-called "reality" TV.

It's hosted by Paris Hilton's mother, Kathy. The show will take some regular every day folks and make them "'fit for New York society' by teaching them to 'live up to the standards of New York's elite.'" Hmmmm.... I guess being fit for New York's elite society includes being dimwitted enough to be videotaped while getting humped by your boyfriend.

Then again, maybe I should hang around New York's Park Avenue more often. I might just get lucky.


0 thoughtful ramblings: