Friday, March 12, 2004

The New Chrysler Voyeur Minivan
The other evening I was stuck in traffic and was confronted by a question of etiquette. Miss Manners wasn't available at the time, and rather than risk a serious breach of social protocol, I chickened out.

The situation was that I was sitting behind a minivan with one of those "in-car" DVD players in it. I'm pretty sure they were watching Finding Nemo, but since I haven't yet seen it, I couldn't be absolutely sure. And since it was in a whole other vehicle, I couldn't hear the actual dialogue.

We were all going nowhere fast, so I thought about actually walking up to the driver's side window, tapping on it, and politely asking them to switch on the "subtitles" option so I could follow the action. In the end, however, I decided I didn't want to risk getting maced, so I did nothing. And let me assure you, lip reading a damn fish is not easy!

I was reminded of this incident because I just heard a report on the radio about how some drivers have actually seen X-rated films being viewed in their fellow motorists' cars. This seems like a risky proposition, especially if you're a guy and you're driving a five-speed. You go to shift, and you could end up grabbing the wrong stick!

What is this society coming to, when people end up watching dirty movies in their cars? And why oh why can't I ever get stuck behind one of them?


0 thoughtful ramblings: