Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Sometimes Bad Decisions Come Back To Bite You On The Tuckus

Back in the last millennium, I attended George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. And while I never actually graduated, college was the best six years of my life. Consequently I tend to keep up with news about the place.

Last fall Michael Moore was scheduled to speak at Mason, but the invitation was withdrawn after republican state legislators complained. University officials said at the time--and continue to insist--that the decision was made because Moore's $35,000 fee was being paid out of state funds. Godless democrats who will no doubt burn in hell for opposing George W. Bush say the school's administrators simply caved in to critics.

In what had been an unrelated matter, GMU had been seeking to obtain a Phi Beta Kappa chapter. Doing so is apparently a pretty big deal among colleges and universities, and having such a chapter adds greatly to a school's prestige and academic standing.

Well, as it turns out, the Phi Beta Kappa folks turned GMU down. Their decision was based on concerns about academic freedom, apparently raised by the cancellation of Michael Moore's appearance.

I know shouldn't, but I'm laughing my uneducated ass off.

0 thoughtful ramblings: