Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Rant--And It's Free!

Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but advertising is increasingly getting on my nerves. I can certainly understand that if I'm getting something for 'free,' then I should be willing to put up with an ad or two. But if I'm already paying for a product or service, then why the hell should I be subjected to a sales pitch?

What really annoyed me earlier this evening was a gas station I stopped at to fill up. Just as I'm beginning to pump the gas, a loud voice comes booming through a speaker announcing that hot dogs are on sale for 89 cents. Then I come to realize that this same announcement is occurring at each individual pump as customers are buying gas. In other words, it's not a general announcement on the overhead speakers, but one directed at individual customers from a speaker on each freaking gas pump! And it's loud!!

At other gas stations I frequent, I've seen little messages that crawl across the little electronic displays on the pumps, and that's okay. I have the choice of either reading it or ignoring it.

But a loudspeaker blasting at me from two feet away is w-a-y over the line. It's overly intrusive, and there's no escaping it. Plus, if you're already shelling out thirty bucks for a tankful of gas, can you really afford to spring for a hot dog as well?

To me, this is every bit as bad as sitting down in a movie theater--a privilege I've just paid nine dollars for (Twelve if I bought a box of Junior Mints)--only to be forced to sit there and watch commercials. Previews are fine; they give me an idea of what's coming out in the coming months so I can begin saving now for my next trip to the multiplex. And I'm willing to accept a plug for the snack bar. After all, when I run out of Junior Mints I may forget that the theater has a snack bar. So thanks for reminding me that I can always go buy another one.

But do I really need to see an ad for the 2005 Chevrolets? No!!! Save the commercial for when I'm watching The O.C. for free on broadcast TV! For now, just start the dang movie that I just paid good money to see, so I can get out of here sooner, and go buy gas on the way home, only to be told that I need to buy a hot dog for 89 cents, which I don't want because I'm ready to throw up from the three boxes of Junior Mints I just scarfed down at the movies!!!!


0 thoughtful ramblings: