Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Credit Where Credit Is Due

I've been slamming President Bush pretty hard the last couple of weeks for his handling--or lack thereof--of Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. I found it especially distasteful when the White House tried to pass the blame onto local authorities.

That's why I was absolutely stunned earlier today when President Bush accepted responsibility for the entire fiasco and even admitted that there are serious flaws in the nation's disaster response mechanisms. Bush is not generally capable of admitting fault, so I have to salute him for having the cojones to do so this time.

In fact, I was so surprised by the news that I actually passed out. When I finally came to, I was in the back of an ambulance being rushed to the hospital. The paramedics asked me what had happened, and I told them that Bush had accepted responsibility for screwing up the relief effort. As it turns out, this was the first they had heard of it, and they ended up passing out as well!! I had to crawl over their bodies to get to the steering wheel and get the vehicle over to the side of the road.

Unfortunately, during all the swerving around, several cars and a truck were sideswiped. After we all stopped, everyone came running up to see what was going on. So I told them Bush had accepted responsibility for what had gone wrong with the Katrina response, and the next thing I know, they're all collapsing in shock.

Finally the police showed up and demanded to know what was going on. So I told them about Bush, and.... Well, you know.

The worst part was when the medivac helicopter's pilot passed out and crashed into the gasoline tanker.


0 thoughtful ramblings: