Friday, March 17, 2006

Exceptions Allowed

Saint Patrick's Day--today--fell on a Friday this year. This is potentially a problem for Catholics since we're not supposed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent (that's the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter for the benefit of those who are NOT Catholic and are therefore doomed to spend eternity burning in the fires of hell). However, a number of U.S. bishops relaxed the rule this year so good Catholics could eat bratwurst and corned beef, a traditional feast for St. Patrick's Day.

WOW!!! They can do that!?!? Just take it upon themselves and suspend the very rules that govern the faith? How does that work? Do they have to clear it with the Pope? And if so, does he have to check with the almighty? I mean, I would hate to have my soul doomed because of someone else's mistake. And can Catholics get this waiver in writing? Suppose we get hit by a truck on March 18 and find ourselves being processed into hell because of what we ate the day before. What kind of documentation will we have that we had that hot dog in good faith?

And suppose you live someplace where the bishop decided to be a real a-hole and not grant the exception. Can we go to a neighboring diocese where the bishop is more hip and safely consume a steak? Or do the rules of your home diocese follow you wherever you go?

On the other hand, suppose my own bishop does allow beef on St. Patrick's day when it falls on a Friday but I'm on a business trip some place run by a strict bishop. Am I entitled to enjoy the exception because my own bishop allows it, or do I have to obey the bishop where I am?

And suppose my bishop decides to some day implement a "casual Friday" type of rule, where one day a week you only have to observe NINE of the commandments? Which one do I choose to break?

Man, I wish I had paid more attention in Sunday School....

0 thoughtful ramblings: